Health Care Providers
Video: Weight Bias in Health Care
Video Discussion Guide
This toolkit, with downloadable files, is designed to help health care providers across a variety of practice settings with easy-to-implement solutions and resources to improve delivery of care for overweight and obese patients. The resources are designed for busy professionals and customized for various practice settings. They range from simple strategies to improve provider-patient communication and ways to make positive changes in the office environment, to profound ones, including self-examination of personal biases.
- Promoting a Positive Office Environment for Obese Patients
- Checklist for Assessing the Office Environment
- Motivational Interviewing Strategies
- Motivational Interview Example Scripts
- Assessing Weight Bias with Validated Measures
- Pediatricians: How to Talk to Parents
- How to Have a Productive Conversation about Weight Bias
For Your Patients
- How to be Informed and Assertive
- How to Talk with Your Doctor
- Talking to your Doctor about Your Weight
- If You Are the Target of Weight Bias
Produced by The Strategies to Overcome and Prevent (STOP) Obesity Alliance, this tool equips physicians with skills for building a safe, trusting environment with patients and facilitating productive conversations about weight.
Produced by the American Medical Association (AMA), this primer is designed to aid physicians in treating obesity and caring for their obese patients in a sensitive and unbiased way. The primer is accompanied by a continuing medical education (CME) component worth 4.5 credit hours.